Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sitting on a bed in a boy's Notre Dame 103 year old dorm room: Chapter 2

In case you were worried (and really, why wouldn't you be?) we were able to switch our hotel room last night to a room with a king bed and a pull out sofa "double" bed. I did know that we would be one bed short on this part of the trip, so we did bring a blow-up bed. In the small room, we had Julia & Aidan (plus all their bickering) on the pull-out sofa, Edwin on the sofa cushions in the corner on the floor and Colin on the blow-up twin mattress - which was blown up in the bathroom, sticking into the tub. Kids in bed - at 1:30. I decide that Brian and I need to unwind a bit so I forage in the lobby and come up with a snack kit (like the kind they sell you on a plane) and one bottle of Corona and one small plastic bottle of Chardonney. We sit down to picnic in the bathroom. Yep. Me on the toilet. Brian on the edge of the tub. Sharing trail mix and chugging wine out of the bottle. All class I tell ya. Then off to (not) sleep so we can get up and not miss breakfast.

We spent a lovely day in Chicago. The sun was out!!! A nice change for us since June has far surpassed its historical gloom period in L.A. After packing up the car (Dodge Grand Caravan, fairly comfortable, with hidden storage compartments in the floor: kids love 'em) we head into the Chicago expressway parking lot to get downtown to meet Uncle Jim for lunch. Uncle Jim is Brian's cousin and Colin's godfather, so it's easier just to refer to him as Uncle Jim. We meet for deep dish (what else?) pizza at Pizzeria Uno - a famous Chicago institution. After not a very long wait, we are taken into the depths of this small and historic restaurant to a corner table where much pizza is consumed. Jim is my age. And not married. But has a girlfriend! Which is the first time in 15 years I've heard him utter this term. I was *very* restrained and only asked 3 questions about her. I'm quite proud of myself and my restraint. Brian contends that this is why Jim still likes me.

After much pizza - we took a walk down to Lake Michigan and Navy Pier - a common haunt for us when we used to live in the Chicago area 10 years ago. We came upon an event unlike one any of us have ever seen before. The Second Annual Windy City International Professional Footbag Championship. Footbag: aka "Hackey Sack" They've turned it into a sport. Think 2 on 2 Volleyball only with feet and a tiny bag like ball. Played on a court surrounded by miniature stands and a hushed crowd. It was richly bizarre. But much fun to watch. And mock.

Once on the pier we all went up in the ferris wheel for a great view of the skyline. I was a little freaked out... then a few more attractions on Navy Pier before a walk back to the car via a Lavazza! coffee shop for gelato and espressos. yummy yummy. We said goodbye to Jim, made a pit stop at the Jewel grocery store (where I could use my Albertson's card for extra savings!) and off into the car for the drive to Notre Dame.

We rolled into South Bend around 8:30 and found the Family Hall to check in. It's in Carroll Hall, on the outskirts of campus by the lake. The dorm is 103 years old. So of course no elevator. And we have all those bags...It's a boys' dorm during the school year. The kids are in one room, Brian and I are in another. It's kind of like camping... I'm not sure I need to say much more than: boys' dorm; Notre Dame; and 103 years old. But! The kids are in a quint, and we're in a triple so we actually have too many beds tonight. Oh, the irony.

Since we arrived in South Bend so late (it's now in the Eastern Time Zone year round) most things on campus were closed for dinner. So we went to Bob Evans (and ate things that I'm pretty sure would have earned me about 100 push-ups in bootcamp) and were served by a lovely gal by the name of Kritter. With a K. Gotta love Indiana.

No comments: